The E1 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows individuals, or employees of companies, to enter the U.S. for the purpose of carrying out international trade.

The word “trade” may apply to the trade of services, of goods, and even banking. There is no set limit to the amount of trade that must take place.

As USCIS page says, you may apply to a DHS immigration officer at a U.S. port of entry for admission as an E-1 nonimmigrant. This visa grants a stay of up to two years.

What do you need to get your E1 visa?

If you are a treaty trader looking for an E1 visa, there are just three things that you need to get it:

On the other hand, if you are an employee of a treaty trader, to qualify you for this visa you must:

  • Be the same nationality of the principal alien employer (who must have the nationality of the treaty country)
  • Meet the definition of “employee” under the relevant law
  • Either be engaging in duties of an executive or supervisory character or if employed in a lesser capacity, have special qualifications.
  • As with other US Visa terms, the applicant should be prepared to provide evidence that they intend to return to their home country at the end of the visa period

The family of E-1 Treaty Traders and Employees

Treaty traders and employees may be accompanied or followed by spouses and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age.  Their nationalities need not be the same as the treaty trader or employee.

These family members may seek E-1 nonimmigrant classification as dependents and, if approved, generally will be granted the same period of stay as the employee.

If you want to know more details, contact us to know more about the application process of the E1 Visa!